AW: [ RadSafe ] TFP, MS, Nuclear Power Plant Effluents

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Feb 25 00:49:07 CET 2005

Eric and RADSAFErs,

I have not commented on the recent threads on the TFP, not on the MS
"study", not on (uncontrolled) effluents. This is though I may put
forward that I have done a lot of work on Sr-90 in the environment also
in connection with the Chernobyl accident and that I have been in charge
of controlling effluents from our Austrian Research Reactors. Moreover I
am quite familiar with regulations world wide.

Why I did not comment is simply explained: There is no use of doing so.
And the slogan "Educate the Public" is nice, but without any chance of
being successful.

Anybody out there to educate Sternglass about his being wrong with
whatever he has published since decades? Anybody telling him about the
most primitive statistics which students have to learn during their
first year? Anybody trying to do the same on Magnago? What about Alec
Baldwin and the other celebrities?

Years ago, when Norman Cohen appeared at RADSAFE I was flamed because I
was so "aggressive" to him and unpolite. Then I tried to explain him
very patiently and in a way that even a layman would understand it, why
the TFP was totally wrong - from my year-long experience on the Sr-90
topic and its radioecology. I spent hours and hours to explain it,
sometimes I had the impression that he understood it (that he
understands it I do not doubt, but he has his prejudice which does not
allow him to accept it). I have never received an answer, how these
people explain the direct pathway from nuclear fuel to baby teeth. BTW
nobody at RADSAFE has ever bothered about it.

What was the result of my patience? Norman started the same thing over
and over again. I terminated our exchange of opinion since I did not see
any use of it anymore. But I have to say, that at least he never flamed
me in such a way as it recently happened on RADSAFE and he never used
such words as some persons regarding themselves as true radiation
scientists did.

Having been at Arizona State University in 1988 for a few weeks I know
more than well, that effluents from nuclear power plants are not only
controlled by the licensee, but also by independent institutions. So
what is all this discussion on "effluents" about? No effluents above the
strict limits - no dose to worry about.

RADSAFErs, go on to answer every little detail of the accusations with
scientifically correct explanations. Tomorrow you will find the ten-fold
of similar silly claims. Answer them - the next day the claims will be
hundred-fold. I personally do not want to play that game.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
AUSTRIA
phone -43-0699-1168-1319

Regulatory
> Commission requires an estimate of the magnitude of the statistical
error.
> The values in the effluent reports are the values of the release.
There
> are always small statistical errors associated with the measurement,
lab
> analysis, flow rates, etc.  I seriously doubt if you see any errors of
50%
> or 100% unless the measurement levels are very close to
"undetectable,"
> something quite possible for the almost (or actual) zero releases of
> something like Sr-90 (you won't see errors like that for noble gas
> releases
> that are actually measurable).  As an analogy, how "accurate" is the
> speedometer on your car?  Plus or minus 3%, 10%?  Does the error
change at
> low speed vice high speed?  Ever change your tire size without
> recalibrating your speedometer?  What's it say when you are just
rolling
> forward at walking speed out of the driveway?  I'd bet it's pretty
close
> zero with very large statistical errors.
>
> Effluent releases most assuredly declined in the years after TMI.
Simply