[ RadSafe ] IAEA new releases

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 14:12:34 CET 2005

> IAEA.org NEWS UPDATE
>

> ON THE IAEA FRONTPAGE:
> IAEA Board Meetings Open 28 February in Vienna The
35-member IAEA Board of Governors opens its next
meetings in Vienna 28 February.  Items on the agenda
principally are related to the IAEA's work in areas of
nuclear safeguards and safety. IAEA Director General
Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei -- whose reappointment is before
the Board -- is expected to brief Governors on the
Agency's implementation of safeguards agreements with
Iran, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, and
Egypt.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/News/2005/IAEABoardMeetings.html
[Full Story]

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/MediaAdvisory/2005/MA_200504.html

> [Media Advisory] Expert Group Releases Findings on
Multilateral Nuclear Approaches An international
Expert Group has released the findings of its
extensive look at the world's civil nuclear fuel
cycle, citing five approaches for stronger controls
over sensitive technologies of proliferation concern.
At a press briefing in Vienna today, Mr. Bruno
Pellaud, the Group's Chairman,  said multilateral
approaches are "setting the nuclear agenda" and urged
concerted action among governments.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/News/2005/fuelcycle.html
[Full Story]

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Documents/Infcircs/2005/infcirc640.pdf
[Expert Group Report]

> Nuclear Power for the 21st Century Ministers from 29
countries have confirmed they will attend a two day
conference in Paris, March 21-22, "Nuclear Power for
the 21st Century" organised by the IAEA and hosted by
the Government of France in cooperation with the
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
(OECD) and the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA).

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/MediaAdvisory/2005/MA_200502.html

> IAEA Confronts Europe's Cancer Scourge With the
death toll from cancer claiming 1.7 million Europeans
each year, health ministers and experts of leading
oncology centres from 27 countries across the
continent met at IAEA headquarters in Vienna this week
to work together to combat the disease.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/News/2005/europe_cancer.html

> Strengthening the NPT and World Security The 2005
Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the
Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) will meet
2-27 May 2005 at the United Nations in New York, to
hammer out priorities to confront the spread of
nuclear weapons.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/News/2005/npt_2005.html
[Full Story]

http:///www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Statements/2005/ebsp2005n001.html
[DG's Op-Ed in the Financial Times]

> IAEA PHOTO ESSAY [New !!]
> Training the Nuclear Watchdogs
> Look inside the world of IAEA safeguards inspectors
as they verify nuclear materials at a nuclear power
plant.

http://www.iaea.org//NewsCenter/Multimedia/PhotoEssays/Mochovce/index.html

> OTHER NEWS:
> World Nuclear University Selects First Fellows
> 1 February 2005 | Over 70 top young nuclear
professionals and academics have gained fellowships to
study at the World Nuclear University's first annual
Summer Institute, to be held 9 July-20 August 2005 in
the USA

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/News/2005/wnu_selects.html

> IAEA Chief Briefs Press on Nuclear Verification,
Security Issues
> 31 January 2005 |  In recent media interviews, IAEA
Director General Mohamed ElBaradei underlined the
urgency of stepping up efforts against nuclear
proliferation and potential acts of terrorism..

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/News/2005/dg_pressbrief.html

> NEWS SITE FEATURES!!!
> "Al-Qaida Also Wants the Bomb"
> A Der Spiegel interview with IAEA Director General
Mohamed ElBaradei (21 February)

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Transcripts/2005/derspiegel21022005.html

360-degree Virtual Tour of the Vienna International
Centre Take a virtual tour of selected areas of the
Vienna International Centre, home of the IAEA,
including the Entrance, Rotunda, and the Board Room.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Multimedia/Showcase/index.html

> Newly Redesigned Resources Pages
> IAEA.org's Resource pages targeted for Journalists,
Member States, Youth and Women have been reorganized
and redesigned with the aim of grouping and presenting
information better.

> http://www.iaea.org/Resources/Journalists/index.html
(Resource pages for Journalists)

http://www.iaea.org/Resources/Journalists/index.html
> (Resource pages for Member States)

> http://www.iaea.org/Resources/Youth/index.html
(Resource pages for the Youth)

http://www.iaea.org/Resources/Women/index.html
(Resource pages for Women

> IAEA ImageBank
> The IAEA ImageBank has rapidly become one of the
most popular feature of the IAEA.org site. Browse
through hundreds of photos on the IAEA's work and
activities.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Multimedia/Imagebank/index.jsp

> RSS Feed
> For subscribers using newsreaders and aggregators,
IAEA.org news and announcements are now available as
an RSS feed. (Look for the "XML/RSS" logo on the
frontpage.)

> NOTES:
> Some of our subscribers have complained about links
from this email message not working. A typical cause
is that some email clients will break up the URL
(internet address) into two lines, making it
dysfunctional. When this happens please manually cut
and paste the complete URL  (in most cases, including
the "html" extension) into your browser's address
field.

. . .

=====
"Baltimore is actually a very safe city if you are not involved in the drug trade."
DR. PETER BEILENSON, the city's health commissioner.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com