[ RadSafe ] NAS "impartiality"

jjcohen at prodigy.net jjcohen at prodigy.net
Fri Jul 1 01:46:26 CEST 2005

Jim, Gary, Eric & anyone else who cares,
    I disagree. Epidemiology, properly done, can be a science that produces
useful insights. It is a science that doesn't provide certainty, but deals
in statistics and probability which can be very useful in evaluating disease
incidence.
    I am willing to concede that the NAS panel members may be  good
scientists and well-intended people, but what bothers me is how they can
ignore or summarily dismiss as "unconvincing" all the studies supporting
hormesis, and/or existence of a dose threshold without offering any cogent
rationale for doing so. Just a cursory review of the RSH summary document
shows that they are ignoring an awful lot of information. Certainly, they
are not obligated to accept it, but it would be nice to at least get some
reasonable explanation on why they reject that information
Jerry.