[ RadSafe ] BEIR VII

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Fri Jul 1 02:51:09 CEST 2005

Hello again,

Actually the mean altitude of Hawaii is fairly high, although I will concede
the population is mainly at low altitude. This is true of a few other states
as well.  I tried to find a quick reference to the natural radioactivity in
Hawaii. Being volcanic it is probably fairly high as well.

Regardless of whether the background is high there, my point is that any
effect of radiation appears to be washed out by other factors. They don't
have a lot of heavy industry for example. It is a correlation or rather an
anti-correlation, and not a one to one correspondence. Any dose effect due
to background changes is washed out by other factors. I am not even claiming
it is heavy industry, just using it as a possible example.

For the moment let's say BEIR VII is correct and we use the canonical 3.6
mSv/yr background, then over an average lifetime if you don't apply DRR
factors almost 10% of cancers are due to background radiation. If someone
lives in a high background area say 10 mSv/year, then even applying a DRR of
1.5 puts radiation as the cause of 20% of cancers in those areas.

What we see tends to be a 20% decrease instead of increase. Again I am not
calling what I am writing anything more than a casual obsevation that BEIR
VII predicts that a significant fraction of cancer and cancer deaths are due
to background radiation. If it is significant it should be measurable.

There are three (maybe more, but these are the ones I tend to think of ;)
uses for dose response modeling:

One.  Establishing acceptable exposure levels for the purposes of
regulation. I'm okay with LNT on that.

Two. Demonstrating probabilty of causation in litigation. Since LNT is used
in establishing regulations, I'm okay with its use in this. Companies and
institutions set their ALARA policy based on the risk they are willing to
accept.

Three.  Estimating excess cancer deaths in large populations exposed to low
dose radiation. This is just plain wrong. Extrapolating a model outside the
domain of statistically significant observations for this purpose should
only be used to design experiments to actually measure and extend the
domain. If that can't be done so be it.

I don't really have a problem with the risk factors presented. It is
presenting them in a way that invites the use in the third way without a
disclaimer that the numbers really are not valid when used in this way.

Dale
daleboyce at charter.net