[ RadSafe ] NAS "impartiality"

jjcohen at prodigy.net jjcohen at prodigy.net
Sat Jul 2 00:04:39 CEST 2005

    Just as you can't prove a negative, you can't convince anyone who
doesn't want to be convinced. In the case of the NAS panel, their
conclusions are supposed to be  based on their review of all available
scientific evidence, and not just those studies they choose to review (i.e.
those that support a preconceived conclusion). Certainly they had to be
aware of the multitude of literature on hormesis and studies indicating the
existence of a dose threshold. Whatever their reason for rejecting that body
of evidence, I think we deserve to know what it is.
    As one example of what was ignored, there are at least five studies
correlating background radiation levels with cancer incidence. These
studies, in the USA, China, India, etc., all indicate a negative
correlation. At the 1980 IRPA conference, a paper was presented which took
the BEIR estimated cancer/man-Sv. rate at the time (essentially the same as
the current estimate and indicating that ~10% of all cancers are due to
exposure to bkgd. radiation), and statistically tested the probability of
getting the observed negative distribution, given that the BEIR estimate was
indeed correct. The probability for such an occurrence was <0.01 indicating
that hormesis might be a possibility, and LNT is extremely unlikely. This
was enough to convince at least me that LNT is nonsense, but then I am not
being paid to promote the status quo.