[ RadSafe ] Cutting radioactive Iron

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 00:50:46 CEST 2005

If you can, use a pre-filter on the HEPA filter unit, as the hot cutting
generates a lot of larger particulate which will 'blind' the HEPA filters
quickly.  A pre-filter is usually cheaper and easier to change and you  don't have
issues about testing the HEPA filter following a change.

Also if you don't effectively control the fumes you can end up with a lot  of
problems on your air samplers due to loss of flow from those filters blocking
 as well.

My experience has been that plasma cutting is much quicker than
oxy-acetalene, but produces much more fume.  I'm assuming (always a rash  thing to do)
that various cold cutting techniques (water jetting, electric  bandsaws etc.) are
impractical due to the large size of the items.

Regards,
    Julian