[ RadSafe ] NAS "impartiality"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 20:55:40 CEST 2005

So, are you saying that scientific epidemiology can be
manipulated?  I would imagine that can also apply to
those who purport to show beneficial effects.  Do you
think that is possible?

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Scientific epidemiology differs from political
> epidemiology in trying to disprove
> one's own beliefs. Ergo, the null hypothesis.
>
> That attitude can be judged by any skeptical layman,
> John
>
> Howard Long
>
> "Muckerheide, James" <jimm at wpi.edu> wrote:
> True Jerry. But it's still an "art" when it comes to
> being able to any
> results you want IF you want biased results.
>
> On your second point, it seems unlikely that they
> can be "good scientists and
> well-intended people, but ...ignore or summarily
> dismiss as "unconvincing"
> all the studies supporting hormesis, and/or
> existence of a dose threshold
> without offering any cogent rationale for doing so."
> It seems obvious that
> they are not good scientists or are not
> well-intentioned people. Do you have
> another alternative?
>
> Regards, Jim Muckerheide
>
> . . .

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com