[ RadSafe ] pyrophoric uranium considered nonessential

Alan Watts wattsa at ohio.edu
Tue Jul 5 19:22:33 CEST 2005

James,

I have seen the word pyrophoric used many times in your messages, and
others, regarding uranium (depleted uranium) when used in military
applications (munitions).  I think you need to look at the MSDS excerpt
below for depleted uranium (DU) which clearly says that DU is not
pyrophoric per the following definition:  Pyrophoric material is any liquid
or solid that will ignite spontaneously in air below 130 degrees F (54.4
degrees C).

MSDS -
GENERAL FIRE HAZARDS/HAZARDOUS COMBUSTIBLE PRODUCTS - depleted uranium:
Solid which exhibits difficult combustion or is difficult to ignite.
Avoid generating dust, particularly clouds of dust in a confined or
unventilated space as dusts may form an explosive mixture with air, and any
source of ignition, i.e. flame or spark, will cause fire or explosion. Dust
clouds generated by the fine grinding of the solid are a particular hazard;
accumulations of fine dust may burn rapidly and fiercely if ignited.
Dry dust can be charged electrostatically by turbulence, pneumatic
transport, pouring, in exhaust ducts and during transport.
Build-up of electrostatic charge may be prevented by bonding and grounding.
Powder handling equipment such as dust collectors, dryers and mills may
require additional protection measures such as explosion venting.
Metal powders, while generally regarded as non-combustible, may burn when
metal is finely divided and energy input is high.
DO NOT use water or foam as generation of explosive hydrogen may result.
May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flame.
Metal dust fires are slow moving but intense and difficult to extinguish.
Will burn with intense heat.
DO NOT disturb burning dust. Explosion may result if dust is stirred into a
cloud, by providing oxygen to a large surface of hot metal.
Containers may explode on heating.
Dusts or fumes may form explosive mixtures with air.
May REIGNITE after fire is extinguished.
Gases generated in fire may be poisonous, corrosive or irritating.
Emits toxic fumes if involved in fire.

Just my two cents worth.

Alan

Alan Watts