[ RadSafe ] Concrete Surface Fixatives

james.g.barnes at att.net james.g.barnes at att.net
Tue Jul 5 20:46:39 CEST 2005

Dear all;

We have some concrete walls that will need to be removed as we dismantle one of our radioactive facilities.  We usually have used concrete sawing to remove these facilities as blocks in order to control the spread of contamination during the demolition.  In the case of this facility, such an approach will not be practical.

Because of the arrangment of the structures, we believe we can use impact rams to knock the wall down.  To do this, however, we will need to apply a fixative (paint, sealant, etc.) to the surface to bind the contamination to the concrete and prevent (or at least restrict) it from going airborne.  We are not looking to decon with this coating, only fix and seal the contamination, so temporary peel off coatings are not what we're after.

Do any of you have any experience with a fixative being used in this type of situation?  If so, how effective was it.  Who was the manufacturer or vendor?

Jim Barnes, CHP
james.g.barnes at att.net