[ RadSafe ] (no subject)

bobcherry at cox.net bobcherry at cox.net
Thu Jul 7 16:45:13 CEST 2005

I have been tempted to respond to Salsman's baloney, ad hominem arguments, and personal insults several times over the past few days. I was especially offended by his assertion that I lied to U.S. soldiers about DU, by his assertion that the U.S. Army commits war crimes when it uses DU, and by his denigration of and insults to our highly esteemed colleague, Dr. Raabe. However, I remind myself of the story about wrestling with pigs and the urge passes.

However, a casual Google search turned up the gems below. Mr. Salsman is obviously a quick study, having become an expert in all aspects of radiobiology, radiochemistry, health physics, the laws of warfare, ethics, and military defense, to name only a few, in less than a year with no formal study or peer-reviewed publications. I would look forward to his talks at a professional society meeting, that is, if he ever gave one.

What he did not learn is to cease making ad hominem arguments.

Let's go to the record:

First up is Salsman's education, such as it is with no mention of a degree.

From: b... at eecs.nwu.edu (James Salsman) - Find messages by this author
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 03:49:20 GMT

Greetings.  My name is James Salsman.
 I was educated as a Carnegie Mellon University undergraduate, and studied advanced mathematics at the University of Charleston, WV.

---------------

Next is Salman's experience through September 2004. Apparently, he has not yet begun his DU studies and research at that point as he makes no mention of it.

From: James Salsman <james.at.readsay.... at nospam.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:01:30 GMT

My name is James Salsman and I have been a programmer and system administrator in Silicon Valley for the past 12 years.
----------------

Finally, here is an early example of Salsman's debating technique. Little has changed for him in 11 years.

Jul 2 1994, 1:22 pm

In article <Cs32Bx.... at eecs.nwu.edu>, James Salsman <b... at eecs.nwu.edu> wrote:
>In article <strnlghtCrx80p.... at netcom.com­>,
>David, I understand that you are an economist once employed by a major
>petroleum producer.  I will put aside my speculations about how much
>ARCO stock you still own and what would happen to that stock if
>telecommuting were to replace automobile commutes to any significant
>extent.  After all, I'm sure anyone as moral and ethical as you claim
>to be would immediatly disclose such conflicts of interest.

Nice ad hominem. Makes the rest of your message not worth replying to. If
you want to try again, politely, use e-mail. Otherwise, speculate this.

David

David said it much better in 1994 than I can now, at least in a forum as polite as Radsafe is. Now if I was back in the Army barracks or on the Detroit streets of my boyhood ...

So, Radsafers, that was a brief peek at the man some of you choose to debate in a scientific way. Good luck.

Bob C