[ RadSafe ] Estimation of fetal doses from CT studies

mark sm msmekh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:18:55 CEST 2005

   Our department has to periodically perform fetal dose estimations
mainly for patients who have discovered after CT examination, that
they were pregnant when the examination was conducted. So we need
rather simple and practical tools to perform such estimations. Till
now we used mainly the ImPACT CT Patient Dosimetry Calculator but it
gives results for a "standard", average patient only. Sometimes
however we need to correct the result taking real patient parameters
into consideration.

   I am sure that such estimations are performed in all countries but
till now I have not found out how this is done. And I even don't know
to whom to turn for this information. I will be very grateful for any
good advice or recommendation who to apply to?

Mark Smekhov Ph.D.
Radiation Control department
Ministry of Health, Israel