[ RadSafe ] Article on Wired on Thorium reactors

John Andrews andrewsjp at chartertn.net
Sun Jul 10 01:30:38 CEST 2005

As I recall, the Fort St. Vrain HTGR built by General Atomic used
thorium as well as urainium as fuel.  Peach Bottom I, on the other hand
used only uranium and I think that was about 20% enriched.  The main
problem with Ft. St. Vrain was that the fuel blocks actually floated in
the high pressure relatively viscous helium used as the coolant.  This
made it hard to control and it was ultimately shut down.  I am still a
big fan of the HTGR  reactor from a health physics standpoint.
Radiation levels during operation of Peach Bottom were very low.
Decommissioning was a piece of cake, but it is only in mothballs, so
there is still more work to be done.  FSV was also easily decommissioned
and radiation levels were low except inside the reactor vessel which got
a little out of hand when filled with water for shielding that got very
murky with graphite.  The spent fuel from FSV is still in storage I
believe.  Fuel recovery is based on burning the graphite and
mechanically separating the different sized coated particles of thorium
and uranium before chemical reprocessing.  The dry handling of really
hot stuff can be difficult if you can't go in and bang on it with a
hammer...

It was an interesting time...

My boss was not happy when I suggested that we weigh the workers before
and after to see if they had ingested thorium.  The quantities are quite
large in terms of mass.

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee