AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] DNA Damage and Oxydative Processes

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 02:16:01 CEST 2005

Rainer,
Thanks for the reply and further explanations.
Exchanges like this can be confusing.  People will
jump in with there own comments, and other will answer
those, etc.  For example, my comment about having read
the BEIR VII was not directed to you, but is clear
that might think so.  I will try and be more explicit
to whom I am direct comments in the future.

As I mentioned, I am on travel and have VERY limited
access to the Internet and my e-mail.  Consequently, I
will be slow in following up on what you have referred
me.  I do appreciate any information so I can review
the material myself.  Yes, I have always been wary of
dissenters without checking out the facts and ask
questons.  Unfortunately, most want you to agree with
their positions.  If I do not agree with you, that may
have to be.  I certainly do not expect you or others
to always agree with me.

By the way, can you cite the Nature article you refer
to?  Again, it is hard for me to check my e-mails, and
I do want to check for it.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:
> John:
>
> Being newbie in this kind of exchange, I possibly
> have answered questions in my recent replies which
> may not have been addressed to me.
>
> In my first post to Eric (Fr 08.07.2005 18:33) I
> tried to demonstrate that BEIR-VII did worse (in my
> view much worse) than ignoring or denigrating
> incommoding peer reviewed knowledge. I quoted two
> important studies and described the steps whereby
> every reader can verify by himself that the data in
> these studies did not qualify for an analysis in
> terms of the LNT postulate in the dose range
> relevant for radiation protection. I furthermore
> claimed that BEIR-VII did exactly that.
>
> I interpreted your subsequent comment <Of course,
> you have read the BEIR VII report. Right?> as an
> insinuation - probably wrongly so - that I alleged
> this misrepresentation without having verified that
> claim.
>
> In answering (Sa 09.07.2005 02:57) this (perceived)
> allegation, I quoted from the BEIR-VII report
> passages which demonstrated that they did exactly
> that, analyse the data in terms of the LNT postulate
> (I would add here without of course being able to
> demonstrate this too: and in terms of LNT only).
>
> Your subsequent allegation <Are you selecting only
> those examples that statisfy you claims and leaving
> other out?> prompted my preceding statement (Sa
> 09.07.2005 12:07) that in fact I did select these
> examples due to their paramount relevance for the
> problem BEIR-VII has been commissioned to address. I
> challenged you to prove otherwise by asking for
> quotes of other relevant studies which had been
> evaluated by BEIR VII and which do support the LNT
> postulate.
>
> The Cardis et al. 1995 'analysis' of their data
> indeed has been challenged, by
>
> Schillaci ME, Comments on ..., Radiation Research
> 145(1996)647-48.
>
> I urge you to read this short note.
>
> Finally, the table in the Nature paper lists 15
> tokens of scientific misconduct - in increasing
> order of severity. Those numbers which I chose,
> arguably might pertain to the treatment by BEIR VII
> of those two examples.
>
> Whenever you feel unqualified to check statements of
> scientific truth by yourself (and that applies to
> all of us given the ocean of knowledge and our
> constraints), remain wary, watch out for dissenters,
> ask them for facts which you can check (there always
> are), and probe their arguments by commonsense.
>
> Regards, Rainer

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com