[ RadSafe ] " White House Urges Oil Appropriations Be Given To Nuclear, Coal "

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 16:34:59 CEST 2005

Maybe if the administration did not request money for
nuclear weapons development, there might be more
research funds for nuclear power development.

I remember when Republicans used to claim about
"spend-thrift" administrations and rising deficits.
So, what's the Bush's Administrations problem?

--- "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj at aecl.ca> wrote:

> So much for the "oil president" monicker.....
>
> Jaro
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> White House Urges Oil Appropriations Be Given To
> Nuclear, Coal
> Energy Washington Week
> Vol. 2, No. 22
>
> The Bush administration is criticizing the
> House-passed energy
> appropriations bill for underfunding several high
> priority programs,
> including a DOE program aimed at bringing new
> nuclear power plants online in
> the next several years; carbon sequestration
> research; and the international
> fusion reactor program. The White House is calling
> on appropriators to
> divert funds from oil and gas programs to increase
> funding for these coal
> and nuclear initiatives.
>
> The House May 24 passed the nearly $30-billion
> fiscal year 2006 energy and
> water spending bill (H.R. 2419) with no major
> changes to the version passed
> out of the Appropriations Committee. Just before the
> vote, the White House
> released a Statement of Administration Policy (SAP)
> criticizing the bill.
> The Senate has yet to draft its appropriations bill,
> for which a markup is
> expected in June.
>
> "The administration is concerned . . . that the bill
> fails to adequately
> fund a number of initiatives crucial for advancing
> the Nation's interest,
> and does not reduce or eliminate funds for programs
> that have outlived their
> purpose or are lower priority," the SAP states.
>
> The administration is particularly upset that the
> House bill only provides
> DOE's Nuclear Power 2010 program with $46 million,
> $10 million shy of the
> budget request. President Bush is relying on new
> nuclear power as a key to
> his energy plan and the Nuclear 2010 program is the
> primary administration
> vehicle to subsidize nuclear utility efforts to
> navigate the new plant
> licensing process at NRC. DOE already has agreed to
> help two separate
> consortia with their combined construction and
> operating license application
> and there are other proposals pending. The SAP urges
> the House to fully fund
> the program by "redirecting funds from the
> oil-and-gas programs."
>
> The House bill reduces funding levels from last
> year's appropriations for
> the oil technology and natural gas technology
> programs, but does not
> terminate them, as the administration requested. The
> administration wants
> research and development funding for oil and gas
> drilling technologies
> phased out, seeking only $10 million for each
> program in FY-06 for costs
> associated with shuttering them and closing out
> contracts. The House bill
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com