AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Residential radon risk

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Jun 1 19:15:32 CEST 2005

Thank you for your response. My critizism was not so much intended to you
personally, but of course you are a well established scientist on radon and
lung cancer and therefore you will be in the forefront of any critizism!

Having worked such a long time with radon I know of course the health
effects of "radon". I know as well about the problems associated with UF. I
am very aware of the problem in mines, the WL approach etc. etc. as you
mention in your post.

I know very well about the problems of measuring UF and radon daughters
concentrations. I agree with your comments that it is much easier to measure
radon-222 concentrations. I have done it tens of thousand time within the
Austrian Radon Project, using the charcoal/LSC method, which also you used
some time ago. But the Austrian Radon Project was not (!!!) intended to find
a relation between radon-222 concentration and lung cancer. We just wanted
to know the radon concentration distribution and an appropriate risk. (What
one could (if so desired) derive from the data was, that radon concentration
and lung cancer were negatively correlated in some areas, but since
radon-222 is not linearily related to lung cancer this is a no-no result.)

I insist that relation between Rn-222 concentrations and lung cancer can of
course be made (as well as relations between arrival of storks and birth
frequency), but to claim extremely small effects on lung cancer taking into
account the unknown relation between Rn-222 and progeny is simply
unacceptable.

I think that all those highly sophisticated research by the "radon
celebrities" who only take Rn-222 concentrations into account should at
least be reconsidered and revised.

I see that Bill Field is doing a reasonable job to measure daughter
products. I will observe his work in the future.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR