[ RadSafe ] Tungsten Alloy Munitions Pose Unforeseen Threat -NIH research

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Thu Jun 2 03:42:33 CEST 2005

Hi all:
Regarding the statement by James Salsman that tungsten alloy antitank rounds are not pyrophoric and therefore of little hazard to soldiers vs. DU, it should be noted that the protective armor on the Abrams tanks consist of multiple layers of depleted uranium between steel sheets. I assume tanks being attacked by US forces have similar depleted uranium armor. Anyone know if this is so??

So when a 102 mm antitank shell hits a tank armored with DU,  I would think the resultant airborne particulate loading is roughly similar as far as DU for both DU rounds and tungsten alloy rounds [due to the effect of the round on the DU armor shields]. The exception is  that tungsten rounds likely results in airborne tungsten dusts and shrapnel not seen with the DU round alone.

Stewart Farber