AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Residential radon risk

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Fri Jun 3 16:35:58 CEST 2005

    The only thing I know from my own research is that any one of
several simple and cheap dust removal devices reduces radon daughters
(WL) by a factor of 3 or more. My basis for believing that this benefit
is largely neutralized by increases in unattached fraction are (1) some
published studies the references to which I cannot now remember, and (2)
the fact that this method for overcoming radon problems in homes has not
been widely recommended or implemented, despite the fact that there were
early relatively powerful promoters like Dade Moeller. For further info
on this problem, one might contact Dade. I have never made measurements
of unattched fractions that I considered to be reliable.

GELSG at aol.com wrote:

>Dr. Cohen:
>
>As I mentioned before, I have not seen much beyond anecdotal evidence for
>average unattached fraction values for the average home.  My observations  in my
>own home, both with and without active electrostatic air cleaning, is that
>there is always some dust.  An electrostatic precipitator certainly helps  to
>remove dust, but there are many different ways to "resupply" dust to the home
>environment, some of which I mentioned previously.
>
>If it were shown that home electrostatic precipitators did not drastically
>reduce the average unattached fraction (it might not take that many dust
>particles per cubic meter to provide sites for attachment), would you then agree
>that use of such a device in the average home situation might substantially
>reduce lung doses from radon daughters?

       ---I do not know enough to be entitled to an opinion on this. One
would have to take other evidence into account.