[ RadSafe ] Proximity to Power Lines at Birth May IncreaseLeukemia Risk

A Karam paksbi at rit.edu
Fri Jun 3 19:47:05 CEST 2005

Anyone interested in this topic should read the book "Voodoo Science" by
Robert Park.  Park is a Ph.D. physicist who ran a very successful
research group for years before moving into science policy.  This topic
is one that he covers fairly thoroughly in his book, concluding that
many studies have shown no effect while only a few have shown even mild
effects.  He also discusses perpetual motion and cold fusion, both of
which pretty much fall into the same category of power line-induced
cancer.

An article in Physics Today that appeared at least a decade ago came to
a similar conclusion, but this one looked only at the physics of the
situation.  It seems that our bodies induce electric fields simply by
being electrically conductive and passing through the earth's magnetic
field.  It also turns out that the fields induced in this manner are
much greater than those we experience from power lines, making any
claims of effects from power lines questionable, to say the least.

Andy