[ RadSafe ] Letter to the Muskegon Chronicle

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Fri Jun 10 07:09:21 CEST 2005

Doug Aitken wrote:

>... he now (finally) admits that the hazard of DU is in the
> realm of chemical toxicology

Actually, I was quite adamant about that last year, back when the
list was still hosted at Vanderbilt.

> it is an irrelevant discussion for the RADSAFE group....
> Let's get back to discussing topics relevant to Health Physics

As Richard Urban so succinctly put it, we don't let pipefitters
decontaminate nuclear power plants, and we don't let railroad
engineers clean up chlorine tanker spills, but sadly, at least
here in the U.S., radiation safety personnel and the NRC is
entrusted with the decision-making authority concerning heavy
metal toxicity.  We must work with the regulatory regime that
we have, not the regulatory regime that we might want or wish
to have at a later time.

Sincerely,
James Salsman