[ RadSafe ] X-Ray On Lights

North, David DNorth at lifespan.org
Fri Jun 10 21:34:44 CEST 2005

As far as I know, the practice of mounting lights such as you describe
outside x-ray rooms is just that: a practice. But I am always willing to be
further educated. Another practice which nowadays is generally discouraged
is linking an exposure interrupter to the door. The idea is to prevent
someone from becoming inadvertently exposed if he/she opens the door during
a radiographic or fluoroscopic procedure. The problem is that while you may
prevent a tiny dose to the door-opener, you have interfered with an x-ray
exam and possibly necessitated additional (much greater) dose to the poor
patient.

I can't see why a DEXA scanner would ever need such a light because the
stray radiation levels from those units are so low that the tech can sit in
the room right next to the scanning couch all day and not even come close to
any reasonable ALARA limit.

An "X-RAY ON" light outside the SPECT/CT ROOM is a reasonable idea just for
the fact that there is a CT scanner in the room. The door shouldn't be
locked in case the patient tanks and a code team needs to get in there
quickly.

David L. North, Sc.M., DABR
Associate Physicist
Medical Physics