[ RadSafe ] X-Ray On Lights

Morgan, Ben ben.morgan at pgnmail.com
Fri Jun 10 22:17:08 CEST 2005

Peter,

At the Harris Nuclear Plant our security X-ray machines have a light
that comes on when the beam is energized. Since these machines are
licensed by the state of North Carolina [an agreement state] I suspected
there might be something in our state regulations. I found the
following:

NORTH CAROLINA REGULATIONS FOR PROTECTION AGAINST RADIATION 15A NCAC 11

.0803 EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

(f) An easily visible warning light labeled with the words "X-RAY ON" or
words having a similar intent, shall be
located outside each entrance into the room containing an analytical
x-ray tube and shall be illuminated only when
the tube is energized; or in the case of a radioactive source, shall be
illuminated only when the shutter is open. On
equipment installed after the effective date of this Rule, warning
lights shall have fail-safe characteristics.

Its not clear where this comes from but I started poking around at the
EPA, FDA and NRC web sites and eventually wound up at Virginia's
radiation protection regulations where I found:

12VAC5-480-8500. Therapeutic x-ray systems of less than one MeV.

B. Facility Design Requirements for Systems Capable of Operating Above
50 kVp. In addition to shielding adequate to meet requirements of
Sections 5 and 7 of these regulations, the treatment room shall meet the
following design requirements:

1. Warning Lights. Treatment rooms to which access is possible through
more than one entrance shall be provided with warning lights, in a
readily observable position near the outside of all access doors, which
will indicate when the useful beam is "on."

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+12VAC5-480-8500

12VAC5-480-8510. X-ray and electron therapy systems with energies of one
MeV and above.

B5. Room Entrances. Treatment room entrances shall be provided with
warning lights in readily observable positions near the outside of all
access doors to indicate when the useful beam is "on".

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+12VAC5-480-8510

I also checked the section on diagnostic X-rays [12VAC5-480-8460.
General requirements for all diagnostic x-ray systems] but I didn't see
anything about entrance signs.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+12VAC5-480-8460

At the NRC's site I ran across Reg Guide 8.18 which is for maintaining
doses at medical facilities ALARA. In section C 3.2.a(2) the use of a
"Beam On" light is discussed for therapy units that use NRC-licensed
sources.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/reg-guides/occupational-he
alth/active/8-18/08-018.pdf

Regards,