[ RadSafe ] To Reiterate: Cancer and Power Lines

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 15:23:50 CEST 2005

While I agree with your assessment about the lack of
any casual relationship between power lines and public
health, the issue has never been identified as one
involving ionizaiton, e.g., "binding energy of typical
organic molecules." I do not believe that any physical
mechanism was ever identified as a cause.

--- bobcherry at cox.net wrote:

> Another issue that won’t go away, from the June 6
> issue of the APS News:
> --------------------
> Electric and Magnetic Fields and Public Health
>
> On April 23, 1995, the American Physical Society
> issued a policy statement concerning Power Line
> Fields and Public Health. The APS concluded that
> “the conjecture relating cancer to power line fields
> has not been scientifically substantiated.”
>
> Since that time, there have been several large in
> vivo studies of animal populations subjected for
> their life span to high magnetic fields, and also
> epidemiological studies, done with large populations
> and with direct, rather than surrogate, measurements
> of the magnetic field exposure. These studies have
> produced no results that change the earlier
> assessment by APS. In addition, no biophysical
> mechanisms for the initiation or promotion of cancer
> by electric or magnetic fields from power lines have
> been identified.
> --------------
>
> Pay particular attention to the last sentence.
> Calculate the energy of a 50-Hz, 60-Hz, or RF photon
> and compare it to the binding energy of typical
> organic molecules. The result of your comparison
> will show why no biophysical mechanisms have been
> found. So far, only hand-waving (activists' wishful
> thinking?) arguments have been proposed for these
> mechanisms, IMO.
>
> Bob C
> Member, APS

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com