[ RadSafe ] Minute amount of enriched uranium missing

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Jun 28 14:13:45 CEST 2005

Bob writ:

"we have more reporters than we have news"

I would just qualify that to say that "we have more reporters than we
have news that people wish to hear about".

Also the thrust of Stew's comments. We have 24 hour coverage of OJ
Simpson, Scott Peterson and Michael Jackson while tribal wars change
borders and governments on many continents, wholesale slaughters of
ethnic groups continue until they reach some numerical value that
warrants our attention, disease and famine affect the poor but not the
rich in many places, and so on. There is plenty of news out there, but
people simply don't have the stomach for the unpleasant news nor the
intellectual stamina to listen long enough to understand the
complexities that cause the changes in the world that we live in. "A
speck of plutonium can cause cancer" and "everyone who worked at this
plant deserves a sack of money because they worked around a radiation
source" - this is easier to deal with, and far more fun. Reporters, on
the whole, can probably understand and report on the real world more
effectively than they do, but, like cocaine dealers, they are bound by
the need to make profits and must feed the preferred habits of their
users. If they don't, their competitors will.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068