[ RadSafe ] Clinton Takes on Uranium Inhalation Poisoners

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Tue Jun 28 22:33:20 CEST 2005

Don Kosloff wrote:

>... according to the DU "poisoning" theories, the Bethlehem workers
> should have expressed the Gulf War Syndrome symptoms long before the Gulf
> War Syndrome symptoms were identified....

Indeed.  From below:  "It was only after those soldiers came back from
the first Gulf War with health problems caused by irradiated bombs that
[Gene O'Brien] made the connection," he said. "Exactly the same thing
happened to me. I was hit with uranium dust."

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20041216/1025306.asp

Former Marine suffered from secret uranium work at Bethlehem, fought battle

By JOHN F. BONFATTI
Buffalo News
12/16/2004

Like so many others of his generation, Gene O'Brien went off to fight
the last great war and returned to a job at the bustling Bethlehem Steel
plant.

As a Marine, O'Brien faced his share of danger.

But nothing, he believes, compared to the danger he unknowingly
encountered at the sprawling steel plant on the Lake Erie shore.

The invisible threat was radiation from uranium that steelworkers were
rolling into rods during secret government experiments in the early 1950s.

O'Brien wasn't alone. Thousands of men worked in the mills, exposed to
the danger.

Of those workers, 2,985 claims for compensation had been filed on behalf
of former employees at 13 area plants under the 2000 Energy Employees
Occupational Illness Compensation program, as of early November.

What makes O'Brien different is that he got money from the government
for his sufferings.

Not many others - just a few hundred - have seen any cash.

"I came out of the Marine Corps and World War II and never knew I went
into World War III," O'Brien said. "I didn't get the protective
equipment in World War III that I had in World War II."

O'Brien, 78, believes radiation at the plant damaged the front temporal
lobe in his brain and led to the removal of his bladder and prostate.

The U.S. government apparently also believes radiation led to his health
problems. In November, it issued him a check for $150,000.

"It took him three years to get this," said O'Brien's wife of 54 years,
Jane, glancing at the piles of paperwork that clutter the kitchen table
in their Elma home. "Three years of stuff all over the table."

The federal law was designed to compensate workers who were unknowingly
exposed to radiation when they worked on secret atomic weapons programs
and later contracted certain cancers linked to that exposure.

Successful claimants - like O'Brien - get $150,000 and money toward
medical bills.

But nearly half of the claims involving area plants have been denied.
O'Brien's is one of just 357 claims that have been paid so far. And he's
one of the few successful claimants willing to talk about his
experiences with the compensation program.

"It's good news," O'Brien said of his award, "but I'd rather have my
health. And I feel sorry for the guys who are left. I don't think
they're going to get anywhere."

That's because he feels those still pursuing claims are being victimized
by the government bureaucracy administering the program.
Three agencies

Three federal agencies - the departments of Labor, Health and Human
Services and Energy - are involved in the program, which started with a
promise by the government that it would lean toward approving claims.

"That has not been the case," said Edwin Walker, leader of a group of
former Bethlehem Steel workers who are critical of the program's
administration. "They fight. They argue. They just don't respond."

In the case of Bethlehem Steel claimants, Walker, O'Brien and others
blame a computer model designed to determine the likelihood that a
claimant's cancer was caused by radiation exposure.

Earlier this week, a government audit pointed to significant flaws in
the model, prompting local congressional leaders to call for it to be
revised.

But a government official whose agency, the National Institute for
Occupational Safety and Health, is responsible for developing the model
has defended it and the program's administration.

"I think there are some very positive things to say about Bethlehem
Steel and the claims in New York," said Larry Elliott, director of
NIOSH's Office of Compensation Analysis and Support. "New York is much
farther ahead than the other states."

The Bethlehem Steel model, Elliott said, is "a scientifically sound . .
. document. It includes very favorable claimant assumptions."

The model was needed because there is scant hard evidence detailing how
much radiation workers were exposed to in the late 1940s and early
1950s, when the government conducted experiments at Bethlehem. The
experiments involved rolling uranium for a federal reactor in Ohio.

O'Brien was an electrician at Bethlehem Steel. He didn't work much at
the bar mill where the rollings took place, but, as a grievance chairman
for the steelworkers union, he said he frequently visited the area to
talk with workers about seniority issues they were having.

It was around this time, O'Brien said, that he inexplicably started
having blackouts. Some occurred while he was driving his car, leading to
at least three accidents.

"It was only after those soldiers came back from the first Gulf War with
health problems caused by irradiated bombs that I made the connection,"
he said. "Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was hit with uranium
dust."

First cancer in 1977

Ultimately, the blackouts led to his leaving Bethlehem Steel on
disability in 1975.

The cancers followed.

In 1977, doctors diagnosed cancer in his bladder. That disappeared
following chemotherapy, but in 1982, doctors found cancer in his
prostate and, as a precaution, decided to remove both. In 1999, he was
diagnosed with rectal cancer.

With two major surgeries, O'Brien thought the chances of a successful
claim were good. He was stunned when his claim was initially rejected.

"When I first got rejected, I was hot," he said. "If I didn't get it,
who the hell is going to get it?"

That's a question Walker said he has heard over and over.

"When we have our meetings, and there's usually 200 people or so, you
hear them all (complain), not just one or two or ten. It's all the way
down the line, the frustration," he said.

Walker is a one-time Bethlehem bricklayer who subsequently got bladder
cancer. His claim has been rejected, and his appeal of that rejection
has been denied.

O'Brien said the rejection of his claim prompted him to refile, this
time adding what he thought were relatively minor skin cancers he'd had
in the past.

As it turned out, "with the skin cancer alone, I would have had enough"
to receive the compensation.

"I almost kicked the bucket with all this other stuff," Walker said of
the bladder, prostrate and rectal cancers. Yet it was the inclusion of
the skin cancers that resulted in his award.

"I don't get it," said O'Brien, echoing a sentiment shared by many
frustrated claimants.