[ RadSafe ] Panel Affirms Radiation Link to Cancer

dckosloff at firstenergycorp.com dckosloff at firstenergycorp.com
Wed Jun 29 21:18:16 CEST 2005

Sandy Perle wrote;

>Comments?

>Panel Affirms Radiation Link to Cancer
>By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer

>WASHINGTON - The preponderance of scientific evidence shows that even
>very low doses of radiation pose a risk of cancer or other health
>problems and there is no threshold below which exposure can be viewed
>as harmless, a panel of prominent scientists concluded Wednesday.

The information presented below is obviously only my own twisted and
cynical opinion.

I suspect that Hebert read only the summary of the report, particularly
since it supports his bias.  I noticed that the NAS report summary on
arsenic appeared to support the politically-correct position on arsenic in
drinking water.  However, upon reading the entire report I noted a
significant disconnect between the report summary and the body of the
report.  The summary wasn't dishonest, but it could only have been
constructed by skewing almost all the other information in the body of the
NAS report in the "proper" direction.  In reviewing the commentary on the
issue, it was clear to me that few people had read the entire content (or
even beyond the summary) of the NAS report.  That changed my view on the
information presented in NAS report summaries and the associated reporting.
The leadership of the NAS is made up of prominent scientists.  Scientists
generally become prominent because they want to be prominent.  Thus they
present information in a way slanted to please the cultural elite and
biased writers like Hebert.  They do not comment on the small brown objects
floating in the punch bowel.  They instead compliment the host on the
beauty of the bowel and the fine color of the punch.  The elites and
certain writers are the gatekeepers for cultural prominence.  I doubt that
they would lie, but there are many ways to tell the truth.

For a good example, look at Bruce Ames.  When he was an anti-industrial
crusader, he was lionized by the gatekeepers.  But when he discovered the
broader truth and was (yikes!) scrupulously honest, clear and precise in
discussing his discovery, the gates swung shut.  Most people don't even
know who literally gave us the Ames Test.

For the vast majority of people, politics takes precedence over truth in
how they choose to run their lives.  Scientists are people.

In addition, the first sentence of Hebert's story is false.  The
"preponderance of scientific evidence" cannot "show" anything.  It can only
imply a possible outcome or indicate a likelihood that the truth may lie in
a certain direction.  If there is only preponderance of scientific
evidence, then the implications and indications are weak at best.

If the NAS really believed what is reported, where are the calls to
evacuate Colorado?  If it would save only one life, it should be done.

Sincerely,
Don Kosloff

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately,
and delete the original message.