[ RadSafe ] RE: "Science" reporting on the BEIR VII report release

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Thu Jun 30 03:59:41 CEST 2005

Well said Mike.

However, he should add to "politics and publicity" the more direct motivation
- big payoffs in cash and career!

Regards, Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Fox [mailto:foxm011 at hawaii.rr.com]
Sent: Wed 6/29/2005 9:20 PM
To: Muckerheide, James; rad-sci-l at WPI.EDU; mbrexchange at list.ans.org
Subject: Re: "Science" reporting on the BEIR VII report release

All:
With respect to this NAS fiasco, Michael Crichton said in a recent speech:
"But I did not expect science merely to extend lifespan, feed the hungry,
cure disease, and shrink the world with jets and cell phones. I also
expected science to banish the evils of human thought---prejudice and
superstition, irrational beliefs and false fears. I expected science to be,
in Carl Sagan's memorable phrase, "a candle in a demon haunted world." And
here, I am not so pleased with the impact of science. Rather than serving as
a cleansing force, science has in some instances been seduced by the more
ancient lures of politics and publicity. Some of the demons that haunt our
world in recent years are invented by scientists. The world has not
benefited from permitting these demons to escape free. "
Mike