[ RadSafe ] HEPA filters for radioisotope fume hoods

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Thu Jun 30 14:00:40 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,
Your question is a little too general to give a definitive answer. The
first question is why is the fume hood being used? Is it to protect
against the spread of radioactive contamination or to protect against
toxic contamination, or both? A HEPA filter will also trap many
aerosolised contaminants. If a hood is designed for a specific purpose
then the choice can be made whether a HEPA filter is appropriate or not.
A general purpose fume hood may have one fitted to cope with a range of
operations that may be carried out in the hood.
Another possibility is that the equipment is designed primarily (or as a
secondary function) not as protection from the material being handled,
but to protect it from contamination. This is very common were
radio-isotopes (e.g. P32) are being used as biological markers. The
"fume hood" is actually a containment to prevent contamination of the
target organism by bacteria etc. as well as protecting the user from the
organism.
It is impossible to make an accurate and safe assessment of any safety
system without full and complete knowledge of its intended use(s) and
design principles. A feature that seems totally un-necessary may be
there to cater for a particular application or be a fail-safe back-up.

Regards,
Robert Atkinson.