[ RadSafe ] NAS "impartiality"

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Thu Jun 30 20:30:41 CEST 2005

BEIR Committees are select4ed by the permanent Board on Radiation Effects
Research.  A few years ago this Board was directed in what it should do by
Warren Sinclair.  It is part of the permanent self-selected cabal that runs
rad protection in the US and internationally.  (Note the extensive int'l
participation.)

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
________________________________

From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl on behalf of jjcohen at prodigy.net
Sent: Thu 6/30/2005 12:54 PM
To: radsafe
Subject: [ RadSafe ] NAS "impartiality"

Is anyone familiar with how the National Academy of Science (NAS) selects
members for its study panels? It seems to me that by judicious selection of
members, almost any predetermined conclusion can be attained. The expert
committees can reference or ignore any material they choose. They typically
compile a massive volume summarizing what they have chosen to review and
formulate conclusions supposedly based upon their review. Maybe I just don't
get it, but from the few NAS studies I have attempted to understand, it was
almost impossible to track how the conclusions were reached from the material
reviewed. I suspect the whole process is largely arbitrary, but perhaps
someone can straighten me out.
Jerry Cohen