[ RadSafe ] Absurd? Oh, the irony!

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Thu Jun 30 22:14:22 CEST 2005

This isn't quite correct, or rather it is incomplete. Proton-proton fusion
is rate limited by the weak reaction since the strong force is insufficient
to make He2 stable it must simultaneously beta(positron) decay to deuterium
at the time the "fusion" occurs.  However, all of the energy release in p-p
fusion is from the strong force, and is equal to the binding energy of
deuterium minus the energy that goes into the positron and the neutrino. You
have to subtract the decay energy in this case because you have to "make"
the positron and neutrino and the only energy source to do this is the
released binding energy of the proton and the neutron that make the
deuterium.

It is believed that in the innermost part of the sun the carbon cycle
dominates the energy production. However, outside that zone the p-p, p-d,
and He3-He3 -> He4 +2p and so on dominates.

I agree that in most fusion reactors or bombs we start with different fuel
than in the reactions that take place in the sun.  However, almost all of
the energy produced is due to the strond interaction. Even at its very basis
the energy from the weak force decays comes from the strong interaction. The
energy in beta decay is due to the difference in the strong interaction
between neighboring isobars.

On the subject of radioactive waste from fusion reactors, one would expect
it to be similar to that produced by low energy proton accelerators scaled
by the relative power (input in the case of the accelerator, and output in
the case of a fusion reactor).  I say this because in low energy proton
machines very few things actually see the protons as they get stopped very
quickly in the machine components. You get 1 or 2 percent of the proton flux
appearing as neutrons from the nuclear reactions that take place. So there
is another fudge factor to consider in scaling from the accelerator side.

Now from the fusion side. A lot of fusion reactions do not produce neutrons.
What fuel is being used to produce the neutrons we are hearing about?
Depending on the fuel, neutron yield could be very low. This leads to a
fudge factor on the fusion reactor side of the equation. In fact producing
neutrons is probably detrimental in a fusion reactor. It means you lose
several MeV of the binding energy of the neutron in the reaction.

We tend to think of neutrons being important from the weapons concept where
the fusion fuel needs to produce high energy neutrons for a ternary device
to work.

Dale

daleboyce at charter.net