[ RadSafe ] BEIR VII

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Thu Jun 30 23:41:29 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I periodically like to point out when discussions like these arise that if
you take American Cancer Society data on cancer death rates by state and
plot them versus the mean altitude of the state there is a strong
anti-correlation.  That is the higher you live (and therefore the higher
your probable background exposure) the lower your risk of dying of cancer.

This is not an argument for or against hormesis. Just that if low level
exposure is harmful, it is much less so than the other differences between
the high and low states, such as heavy industry and air pollution tend to be
more common at lower altitudes because of accessibility to heavy transport
methods. It also show that the death rates vary by +/-20 state to state from
the national mean. How can someone say with a straight face that 100 mSv
causes an increase of 1% in cancer?

Another thing that I like to throw in every once in awhile is that the
linear model was developed from high dose data.  (I never get any takers on
answering this one) At high doses RBE's and Quality Factors do not apply.
The average dose to an individual cell is the same whether from a 100 rads
(1 gray) of photons or for example neutrons. Therefore, if we take the
linear model to low dose it should only work for high LET radiation. Where
an individual cell receives a similar dose as at high dose. Just a much
smaller fraction of the cells are exposed. These last two sentences are
fundamental to the LNT hypothesis.

So for low LET radiation I would argue that the LNT model should fail
because both the average cellular dose, and the fraction of cells exposed is
smaller (once you reach a small enough dose). To me this would indicate that
(IF the LNT model is correct for high LET radiation) then the dose response
at low dose should go as something like the square of the low LET dose. I
usually say it in a different way. At low dose of low LET radiation you
should divide the LNT by the RBE/QF's of high LET radiation.

This also points to another problem with the LNT model. Since we don't use
the QF's at high dose what unit is the LNT linear in?

In an offline discussion awhile back with another RADSAFER we were
discussing this last point about not using QF's at high dose. It makes sense
from a microdosimetry standpoint, and seems to be a fairly commonly held
view.  However, neither of us could find a reference to support this.
Anyone know?

Another question. At 40 years post Hiroshima/Nagasaki the excess cancer
deaths in those populations was something like 250 out of a cohort of 80,000
or so. Does anyone have the most current figure?

dale

daleboyce at charter.net