[ RadSafe ] HEPA Filters

Patrick Muldoon pmuldoon at arc.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 30 19:44:23 CEST 2005

Thank you Peter for telling the world "we should know
better" at NASA Ames. Truth is, we do. Most of the HEPA
filters are legacy filters that were installed years ago -
maybe, maybe not for radiological purposes. While I am not
currently serving as RSO, when I was the Radiation Safety
Committee was informed that there was no requirement for
HEPA filters for the work they were doing. I'm sure
Berkeley knows better as well and has their own reasons
for having HEPA filters. I wish you luck tracking down the
requirement. I'm guessing it comes from some worse case
scenarios where powders or dusts may be generated.

Patrick Muldoon, CHP