[ RadSafe ] Hans Bethe (1906-2005)

Jim Blute jblute at NITON.com
Mon Mar 7 21:26:21 CET 2005

Lee Grodzins - former professor of physics at MIT and founder of my company, Niton, has this to add to Bob's story about the article...

You might pass this addendum to the last story.  The addendum by the way comes from Ralph Alpher whom I have known for decades.
Gamow looked through the membership list of the American Physical Society and found someone with the name of Deltar (or something close).  He didn't know the person so he wrote asking if Deltar would mind if they put his name on the paper.  (Gamow put Bethe's name on without telling him.) Deltar thought it most unprofessional and refused.

Jim Blute

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl]On
Behalf Of bobcherry at cox.net
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 2:46 PM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Hans Bethe (1906-2005)

Giant of 20th Century Physics Dies:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14079-2005Mar7.html

One of my favorite stories has to do with a cosmogenensis paper that George Gamow and Ralph Alpher wrote. The two decided to add the name of their physicist friend, Hans Bethe, so that the paper would be cited as the Alpher-Bethe-Gamow theory.

Bob C

For information on how to subscribe/unsubscribe and other settings visit: