[ RadSafe ] U.S. NRC Soil Decommissioning Criteria

goldinem at songs.sce.com goldinem at songs.sce.com
Thu Mar 10 17:12:08 CET 2005

Leo,   Did you ever get an answer to your question about NRC soil criteria
for license termination (finalization/superceding of NUREG-1500)?   If not
(I get the digest version of Radsafe and haven't seen anything yet), the
NRC's screening criteria for surface soil contamination (top 15 cm of soil)
appear in NUREG-1727 (NMSS Decommissioning Standard Review Plan) Appendix
C.   Note there are constraints on the use of screening criteria (no
subsurface contamination, no site specific issues....) and are equivalent
to 25 mrem/yr for a specific critical group (resident farmer, I believe).
You have to use sum of fractions for multiple radionuclides, etc.  Note
also there are EPA guidance documents as well with individual radionuclides
correlated to the EPA suggested site cleanup criteria (risk-based, not
dose-based, etc.)   Those are available on the web at
http://epa-prgs.ornl.gov/radionuclides/

Good luck,   Eric

Eric M. Goldin
<goldinem at songs.sce.com>