[ RadSafe ] Re: Radioactive Material Stolen While Man In DonutShop

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Thu Mar 10 19:38:20 CET 2005

Larry *

Good question, and I'm not sure that it has a simple answer. I will tell you that NRC and the Agreement States are putting a lot more emphasis these days on security of "significant" radioactive materials sources ... with the goal being to keep them from being lost or stolen in the first place. I can't define significant (although it apparently goes all the way down to portable guages, such as moisture/density gauges) ... and I can't give you the details of the emphasis, as a) I'm not directly involved in the licensing end, and b) the information is considered safeguards information.

The problem, as I see it, is that (as we all know) radioactive materials are everywhere, and the more you look, the more you're going to find. We've all seen instances of perfectly innocent individuals who just happen to have been the subject of a medical procedure involving radiopharmaceuticals, who all of sudden find themselves trying to explain to federal / state / local law enforcement authorities that they're not terrorists. I see where the new DHS Secretary is proposing the development of "newer and better" (my term, not his) radiation detection equipment. I think this is a great idea, but I don't know that anybody will ever be able to devise an instrument that is capable of distinguishing between legitimate and illicit uses of radioactive materials ... or will be able to tell you when radioactive materials are no longer under the control of their rightful owners / users.

I guess where I'm coming from is that we're handling this pretty much like criminal investigators handle their cases ... you don't see homicide detectives crusing the streets, looking to see if anybody is trying to kill somebody else. Instead, they respond to homicides as they are reported to them. We respond to incidents of lost or stolen radioactive materials (or for that matter, traffic accidents involving vehicles carrying radioactive materials, etc.) as they occur and are reported to us, but we don't have the resources to make essentially random (or even not-so-random) searches for radioactive materials that may not be in the possession of their rightful owners / users.

Of course, the big issue here is resources ... what resources are available (including funding) and how best to apply those resources.

Speaking just for myself (and not for the entire regulatory community) we're open to anything that will decrease the probability of radioactive materials getting into "the wrong hands", however that may be defined. But, we're also tied to our statutory authorities and the amounts and sources of funding that we receive. We'll do whatever our elected officials tell us to do ... and give us the money to do (assuming that it's legal and moral, of course! <grin>

I think I'm up to $0.04 for the day ...

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4220 International Parkway, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675
Fax: (404) 362-2653
E-mail: Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Boing, Lawrence E." <lboing at anl.gov> 3/10/2005 12:52:12 >>>

By taking this approach though - in todays political environment - are
we setting ourselves up to take a 'hit' - for not tracking down these
items - what if this leads to another 'rad source crisis' like in
Thailand, Estonia, Brazil?  I guess it comes down to how much effort are
the regulators allowed or do they need to put into tracking these
sources down versus the risk they are perceived as posing to the public
in general if they end u pin the wrong hands (not necessarily terrorist
either - I am ignoring that here) ???  I am not pinging anyone hereeither in the regulator community - you all do a lot with a little in
many if not most cases.

Lawrence E. Boing
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 South Cass Avenue