[ RadSafe ] Unidentified Helicopters Nearly Fired UponOver Nuclear Power PlantBy

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Sun Mar 13 22:01:34 CET 2005

Please folks, as I said yesterday:

"The Federal Air Regulations do not preclude a sightseeing aircraft from
passing over and around any nuclear power plant -- they are not
surrounded by Prohibited [or Restricted] Airspace. The only so-called
restriction is that thou shalt not "loiter" around NPP's,  stadia, big
sports arenas, and so on. If you are of an evil inclination, this
honestly is not much help. "

1. There is no restricted airspace around nuclear power plants! Examine
any current Sectional chart. Maybe to emphasize the point, do I really
need to offer to get you a new photo next week of Comanche Peak that I
can take from our club Cessna 182?

2.  I never suggested that " ...To say any aircraft could not impact the
containment structure like saying no aircraft could drop the world trade
center.....BTW ..."

I did assert that: "A B-737 could not squarely impact a containment
structure with more than one engine."

3. I also asserted the following opinion: "Shooting [first] and asking
questions later in the United States has not and will not in the
foreseeable future either fly or float."  Does no one recall the huge
debate when this was proposed many years ago to stop illegals crossing
the Mexican border? Or the missionary couple shot down by Columbia under
this policy?

4.  In a lighter vein, Jaro, I was disappointed by the  implied
translation of "Accidents d'avions". Shucks, Dog and I thought it
referred to the common 'in-flight  accidents' performed by pigeons!  <g>

Cheers,
Maury&Dog     (Maury Siskel    maurysis at ev1.net)
John Jacobus wrote:

>Does anyone how often the restricted airspace around nuclear power plants have been violated?
>
>Sandy Perle <sandyfl at earthlink.net> wrote:

There are air restrictions around nuclear facilities. The potential damage alone is not the only reason an intruder could be shot down. If one enters the restricted zone, they always face being brought down involuntarily.