[ RadSafe ] Re: Benefit from 0.1 Sv

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 14:31:58 CET 2005

I do not fight the idea of hormesis per se, but the
tactics used by some proponents, including you.
Choosing data to support your position does a
disservice to true researchers.

Several of the studies you cite have been reviewed by
experienced epidemiologists and found lacking.
However, I am sure that they lack you expertise as you
can find a single line or tidbit of data that supports
your "findings."

As a typical example you cite the one table in the
1979 McGregor and Land report of 34 observed and 42.3
expected, which is extrapolated data.  Yet, in the
1977 report, there is not only no beneficial effect.
Based on the epidemiological studies of the
populations, 105 cancers were observed and only 96
were expected in 0-9 rad subpopulation.  A true
hermetic effect?  What is wrong here, since you seem
to have such insight?

A certainly await your explanation.  Of course, I am
sure you will provide a detailed analysis.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Yes, and it did not change the fact on which you
> refuse to comment.
>
> Howard Long
>
> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Have you read the other paper: McGregor and Land,
> 1977? When you have let me know.
>
> Again, if you look for the data to support your
> view,
> you will find it, or reinterpete it so it fits. I am
> just surprised that you actually believe that there
> may be some questionable aspects of the data. Did
> you
> actually look at what I wrote? Maybe you should look
> at all of the studies with an unbiased eye.
>
> --- howard long wrote:
>
> > "34 breast cancer cases observed" with [0.01-0.09
> > Sv] exposure where
> > "42.3 cases expected" in population match. (Land
> > and Mc Gregor, Bomb Survivors)
> >
> > John, granted that this could be by chance (p
> about
> > 0.05?, given the consistency with higher doses),
> it
> > certainly is evidence for benefit, especially
> since
> > it is consistent with all other available info,
> like
> > NSWS, Britsh Radiologists, clinical effects, etc.,
> > in Muckerheide's large index.
> >
> > Why do you keep fighting hormesis? To keep your
> job?
> >
> > Howard Long
> >
> > John Jacobus wrote:
> > I am not sure of your point, but I am not
> surprised
> > that the risks, or benefits, at low doses were not
> > of
> > concern in the past. I don't think that doses
> below
> > 0.1 Sv are present significant risks or benefits.
> > admire you perseverance.
> >
> > With the question of bias I think that you will
> find
> > it in science, as science is a human endeavor. The
> > saving grace is that, as you point out, there is
> > verification. Certainly, different models show
> > different relationships things. One thing that I
> > believe is that biology is not like physics. When
> we
> > extrapolate from large doses to low doses, you
> have
> > cell repair, "bystander effects," and other
> > interesting stuff going on. It is possible that
> > there
> > may not be an adequate model for low dose,
> low-dose
> > rate effects.
> >
> > However, I think that bias is dangerous when you
> > only
> > select those studies that support your view and
> > ignore
> > others that do not. As I have been trying to point
> > out, the McGregor and Land paper of 1977 certainly
> > does not support a hermetic effect. Second, you
> > cannot pick out one piece of data from a paper and
> > ignore the rest. That is poor science. Do you
> agree?

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com