[ RadSafe ] Re: Benefit from 0.1 Sv

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 22:52:27 CET 2005

I would say the hormesis has not been proven, which is
not to say that I support the idea.  I really think
that it is wishful thinking.  I will oppose poor
science, which I do think you accept.

By the way, you still have not answered my question
about the 1977 McGregor and Land report which shows an
increase of cancers over expected.  No LNT, just real
science.  Why do you never refer to this piece of
data?I get the feeling you have never have looked at
the paper.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Good to hear you do not fight hormesis!
>
> Note that you refer again to the LNT assumption "0 -
> 9 rad" which does not recognize LESS breast cancer
> at 1 - 9 rad than at 0 - 1 rad and thus overlooks
> the hormesis.
>
> Again, how do you account for 34 cases with 1 - 0.9
> rad exposure where 42.3 cases expected from
> comparable population and fitting the expected for
> higher doses (>50rad) where there was more breast
> cancer than comparable population, using the same
> criteria?
>
> Only chance (unlikely) and BENEFIT from 1 -9 rad
> explain it, since neither the number of cases or the
> expected number were extrapolated, (as you suggest).
>
> Remove ALARA!  (for clean-up criteria, for
> compensation and for flight exposure, for sunshine,
> etc)
> Howard Long
>
> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do not fight the idea of hormesis per se, but the
> tactics used by some proponents, including you.
> Choosing data to support your position does a
> disservice to true researchers.
>
> Several of the studies you cite have been reviewed
> by
> experienced epidemiologists and found lacking.
> However, I am sure that they lack you expertise as
> you
> can find a single line or tidbit of data that
> supports
> your "findings."
>
> As a typical example you cite the one table in the
> 1979 McGregor and Land report of 34 observed and
> 42.3
> expected, which is extrapolated data. Yet, in the
> 1977 report, there is not only no beneficial effect.
>
> Based on the epidemiological studies of the
> populations, 105 cancers were observed and only 96
> were expected in 0-9 rad subpopulation. A true
> hermetic effect? What is wrong here, since you seem
> to have such insight?
>
> A certainly await your explanation. Of course, I am
> sure you will provide a detailed analysis.
>
> --- howard long wrote:
>
> > Yes, and it did not change the fact on which you
> > refuse to comment.
> >
> > Howard Long
> >
> > John Jacobus wrote:
> > Have you read the other paper: McGregor and Land,
> > 1977? When you have let me know.
> >
> > Again, if you look for the data to support your
> > view,
> > you will find it, or reinterpete it so it fits. I
> am
> > just surprised that you actually believe that
> there
> > may be some questionable aspects of the data. Did
> > you
> > actually look at what I wrote? Maybe you should
> look
> > at all of the studies with an unbiased eye.
> >
> > --- howard long wrote:
> >
> > > "34 breast cancer cases observed" with
> [0.01-0.09
> > > Sv] exposure where
> > > "42.3 cases expected" in population match. (Land
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com