[ RadSafe ] Re: Benefit from 0.1 Sv

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 16:08:06 CET 2005

Apparently you are unable or incapable to understand
what is written.  After reading some of your comments,
it is apparently both.  By the way, I find your
inability to cite reference when asking questions a
typical example of your lack of scientific prowse.

As I said, in the 1977 McGregor and Land report the
difference between the expected cancers is due to the
mathematical extrapolation of the data.  This is
abundently clear when you look as the changes in the
data sets.  It is also clear you do not read what I
have sent you.  You said and actual indicate a degree
in epidemiology.  You may wish to ask for a refund.

Your braying about the "studies" probably impresses
you, but they do not for many of the professional
scientist who study radiobiology and epidemiology.
When I cite the results of a epideimological study,
McGregor and Land 1977, you dismiss the results that
demonstrate a harmful effect.  Again, you do not know
the difference between data and statistical analysis.
I think that you do not know the basics research or
how to critically evaluate what you read.  But, then,
why be bothered with fact when you have wishful
thinking, or hormesis, to fall back on.

Note:  I have abreviated the two McGregor and Land
studies.  If anyone would like further information,
let me know.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> I'm waiting for John Jacobus to respond to the
> original question:
> How does he explain LESS breast cancer at 1-9 rads
> than with more radiation or less radiation - other
> than by a NON linear dose effect - benefit from LDR
> indicating removal of ALARA?
> He is correct in noting that I do not accept
> authors' conclusions that are inconsistent with
> their own data.
>
> Nothing can be proven, as philosophy should have
> taught, including one's own existence.
> But I have rarely seen as good evidence for any
> prevention, as that from Taiwan apt, nuclear
> shipyard, Canadian fluoroscopy, USA Co lung cancer
> death rates vs home radon samples, British
> radiologist longevity, etc, etc. I believe John and
> many others are like Javier in Les Miserables,
> unable to accept that they attack a benefit labeled
> as a harm - low dose radiation.
>
> Howard Long
>
> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would say the hormesis has not been proven, which
> is
> not to say that I support the idea. I really think
> that it is wishful thinking. I will oppose poor
> science, which I do think you accept.
>
> By the way, you still have not answered my question
> about the 1977 McGregor and Land report which shows
> an
> increase of cancers over expected. No LNT, just real
> science. Why do you never refer to this piece of
> data?I get the feeling you have never have looked at
> the paper.
>
> --- howard long wrote:
>
> > Good to hear you do not fight hormesis!
> >
> > Note that you refer again to the LNT assumption "0
> -
> > 9 rad" which does not recognize LESS breast cancer
> > at 1 - 9 rad than at 0 - 1 rad and thus overlooks
> > the hormesis.
> >
> > Again, how do you account for 34 cases with 1 -
> 0.9
> > rad exposure where 42.3 cases expected from
> > comparable population and fitting the expected for
> > higher doses (>50rad) where there was more breast
> > cancer than comparable population, using the same
> > criteria?
> >
> > Only chance (unlikely) and BENEFIT from 1 -9 rad
> > explain it, since neither the number of cases or
> the
> > expected number were extrapolated, (as you
> suggest).
> >
> > Remove ALARA! (for clean-up criteria, for
> > compensation and for flight exposure, for
> sunshine,
> > etc)
> > Howard Long
> >
> > John Jacobus wrote:
> > I do not fight the idea of hormesis per se, but
> the
> > tactics used by some proponents, including you.
> > Choosing data to support your position does a
> > disservice to true researchers.
> >
> > Several of the studies you cite have been reviewed
> > by
> > experienced epidemiologists and found lacking.
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com