AW addendum (glass): [ RadSafe ] LSC Cocktail and vials

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Mar 17 13:52:08 CET 2005

Sorry, I forgot to write about glass vials. I remember that some
companies offered "LSC vial crushers", which are used to minimize the
volume of waste and therefore the disposal costs.

I used only PE vials, because we did low-level counting. The vials were
burnt full as they were and I joked that the incinerator company should
pay us because of the organic solvent and the PE that saved fuel, but
unfortunately they did not agree.

If the contaminated cocktail could be drained legally then it should be
possible to burn it.

Best regards,

Franz

---

The question is, what kind of material the vials are made of. If they
are made of polyethylene then it would be the best to rinse and simply
burn them to save both time and manpower and costs for washing.

Regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR