[ RadSafe ] e: U.S. Nuclear Power Industry Workers Study - Healthy Worker Effect

Susan Gawarecki loc at icx.net
Thu Mar 17 23:54:31 CET 2005

This has already been done in a large combined cohort study of women workers at 10 DOE facilities.  The comparison was between badged workers with no recorded exposure and badged workers with recorded exposures.  The ones with recorded exposures had fewer cancers and were healthier.  The researcher explained this as an internal healthy worker effect, i.e., that only the healthiest workers would voluntarily work in radiation areas.  Somehow she couldn't draw the conclusion that radiation exposure might actually benefit a worker.

I think what these studies demonstrate, is that for whatever reason, you are likely to be healthier if you work in a radiation area than otherwise.  A corollary is that is radiation can't possibly be a significant risk to health at these levels of exposure.  So why are we regulating it so stringently at these levels?

Obviously my own opinion,
Susan Gawarecki