[ RadSafe ] Yucca Mountain - neptunium

Strickert, Rick rstrickert at signaturescience.com
Fri Mar 18 18:19:04 CET 2005

>From "Dissolved Concentration Limits of Radioactive Elements" (Y. Chen, E.R. Thomas, F.J. Pearson, P.L. Cloke, T.L. Steinborn, and P.V. Brady, ANL-WIS-MD-000010 REV 02, June 2003;                         http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/documents/amr/34715/34715.pdf), the issue may be  between two neptunium solubility models, one with neptunyl(V) oxide as the controlling solid, and the other model, which uses neptunium(IV) oxide.

The report states that its preference for the neptunyl(V) oxide model is based on work by Efurd, D.W.; Runde, W.; Banar, J.C.; Janecky, D.R.; Kaszuba, J.P.; Palmer, P.D.; Roensch, F.R.; and Tait, C.D. 1998. "Neptunium and Plutonium Solubilities in a Yucca Mountain Groundwater." Environmental Science & Technology, 32, (24), 3893-3900. Easton, Pennsylvania: American Chemical Society. TIC: 243857 (I haven't read the paper of Efurd, et al..)

The solubility-limited neptunyl(V) aqueous concentrations are over an order of magnitude higher for the neptunyl(V) oxide model than for the neptunium(IV) oxide model in the neutral to acidic pH range.  Carbonate complexing may also begin to increase the aqueous neptunium concentration at pH values > approx. 8.

There's also a question of the importance of the crystalline oxide vs. an amorphous hydrous oxide (e.g., Np2O5*xH2O or NpO2*xH2O).  The hydrous oxide is more soluble, but ages to a less soluble crystalline form.

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX