[ RadSafe ] Do better than John Snow's Work. Medical Ethics?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 17:29:34 CET 2005

I will conceed that the LNT is a hypothesis that
attempts to fit known data to some mathematic model.
Does it work in all cases?  Within the limits of the
data, it is probably reasonable.

As for the number of cases that support hormesis, what
do you mean?  Actual data like the McGregor and Land
study of 1977 that shows no hormetic effect?
Ancedotal stories or cherry picking of data?  Bits and
pieces of data from other work, like taking one line
of from the McGregor and Land paper of 1979, does not
really constitute a study. Consider my arguement that
the McGregor and Land article of 1979 showed a
difference between observed cancers and expected based
on the LNT.  Again, the LNT provides an a mathematical
estimate based on large populations.  After all cancer
is a stochastic event, of estimates of cancer based on
any model will be estimates.  One of the things I like
to see are error bars of levels of confidence in the
data.  They often speak volumes about the work.

The statement that the estimated risk as an absolute
shows a lack of understanding of basic science and
epidemiology.  Howard Long claims to have studied
epidemiology, but does bring any of that knowledge to
the argument.  Rather, there is this blind faith in
what others say.  I certainly do not have any divine
insight, but I am willing to look at the data and the
agruments for and against.  I would expect that others
would try to make a similar effort, but I am probably
deluding myself.  However, I am willing to give others
what I have so they can ponder the information.  I do
not dislike Dr. Long, just his inability to understand
what he cites.  Maybe he is the one who has blind
faith.

I am please to hear that you are puzzled.  Maybe it
will lead to looking at the data and asking questions.
 Again, if you would like copies of any of the papers
I mention, let me know.

--- "Syd H. Levine" <syd.levine at mindspring.com> wrote:

> John:
>
> Would you concede that there is sufficient evidence
> to question the validity
> of LNT given the number of studies that seem to
> support hormesis (even if
> the science is not sterling)?  Or do you simply
> believe LNT is clearly
> correct based on some insight I seem to lack?  I am
> puzzled by your take on
> this matter and what seems to be a certain
> stubbornness (and dislike for Dr.
> Long).
>
> Syd H. Levine
> AnaLog Services, Inc.