[ RadSafe ] DHS PLANNING SCENARIOS -Scenario 1: Nuclear Detonation

Gerry Blackwood gpblackwood at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 21 15:41:34 CET 2005

I have another additional point I would like to make with regard to Scenario One....The extent of radiation at 3000 miles for a 10 kiloton nuke is rather slightly off.....yes its dependent on environmental conditions but unless detonation occurs during a Nor' East'er the extent of exposure as outlined is problematic..... A 10 kiloton nuke should have an effect starting at the epicenter of the blast up to a distance of approximately one third mile in which every structure will be destroyed with all dead. The second circle of destruction should extend up to three quarters of a mile from the epic center and would leave buildings partially destroyed. A final circle reaching out 1 mile would be ravaged by fires and radiation. Total dead on detonation using NYC as an example estimated at 600,000 to 1 million and after the blast effect and fire storm another possible 700,000.........3000 miles of radiation exposure? We are not talking about a thermonuclear weapons here...... Yes there will
 be a extended exposure effect but life threating is another thing.......

Besides of all the drills we have had and of the after action reports I have seen they all show the same deficiencies basically. My problem with all of this is when the hell are we going to start fixing the deficiencies......????

"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality."