[ RadSafe ] RE: LNT now NOT "reasonable"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 20:06:46 CET 2005

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate any new
information on this subject.  Also, I appreciate
someone who can stay on topic and write a decent
sentence.

http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Correspondence/NCRP136/NCRP136Index.htm

http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/Correspondence/ICRP-TG1comments.htm

> [...]
> restricted perceptions and
> distorted judgments of several generations of
> toxicologists concerning the
> nature of the dose-response continuum. Such
> historical and technical blind
> spots lead the field of toxicology to not only
> reject an established
> dose-response model (hormesis), but also the model
> that was more common and
> fundamental than those that the field accepted.  c
> 2005 Elsevier Ltd. All
> rights reserved.

> Dose-response; Biphasic;
> Risk assessment; Threshold; Linearity; History of
> science; History of
> medicine; Toxicology
>

> 2) Critical Reviews in Toxicology, 35:89-295, 2005
> [NOTE: 207 PAGES!  PDF IS
> 2.5 MB]
>
> Hormetic Dose-Response Relationships in Immunology:
> Occurrence, Quantitative
> Features of the Dose Response, Mechanistic
> Foundations, and Clinical
> Implications
>
> Edward J. Calabrese
>
> Environmental Health and Health Sciences, University
> of Massachusetts,
> Amherst, Massachusetts, USA
>
> This article provides an assessment of the
> occurrence of
> immune-system-related hormetic-like biphasic
> dose-response relationships.
> Such dose-response relationships are extensive, with
> over 90 different immune
> response-related endpoints reported, induced by over
> 70 endogenous agonists,
> over 100 drugs, and over 40 environmental
> contaminants. Such hormetic
> over a dozen mammalian and
> human cell lines. These findings demonstrate that
> immune-system-related
> hormetic-like biphasic dose-response relationships
> are common and highly
> generalizable according to model, endpoint, and
> chemical class. The
> quantitative features of the dose response are
> generally consistent with
> previously published examples of hormetic dose
> endpoints. These findings were generally recognized
> and explicitly discussed
> by the original authors, often with consideration
> given to possible
> mechanistic foundations as well as numerous clinical
> implications. Despite
> the recognition by individual authors of the
> hormetic nature of these
> observed responses, the overall widespread nature of
> immune-related hormetic
> general lack of insight
> into the highly generalizable nature of this
> phenomenon as well as the
> complex regulatory networks affecting biological
> switching mechanisms that
> result in the hormetic responses.
>
> Keywords Hormesis, U-Shaped, J-Shaped, Immune
> Stimulation, Lymphocyte
> Stimulation, Metals, Stimulatory, Inhibitory,
> Opioids, Cytokines,
> Interleukins, Dose Response
>
> Let me know if you want either of these papers for

=== message truncated ===

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com