[ RadSafe ] TI Determination.

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 01:04:14 CET 2005

On 23 Mar 2005 at 13:36, Mccormick, Luke I wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is any reason a SIemen's gamma and neutron
> detecting EPD couldn't be used for determining the TI on a Cf-252
> soource we are planning on shipping? The EPD is calibrated to CF-252.
> I see no reason we can't use these, but am getting some flack from
> another HP. Luke McCormick

If you want to use this method, I would suggest that you have
documentation regarding the following:

1) what is the configuration for the calibration of the source as
compared to the configuration of the EPD, moderation, etc.

2) dose response for the calibration compared to the dose
determination for the shipment ... how similar, and what is the
uncertainty

3) how does the dose rate change with respect to the geometry .. in
other words, was it calibrated on a standard phantom, and how does
that compare to the shipment geometry

4) what is the accuracy and precision of the EPD for a Cf-252
calibration.

5) what are the response characteristics of the EPD in the neutron
environment, and how does the response change base don the
moderation, distance, etc.

I have never heard of anyone suing this method, which doesn't mean
that it can't be sued. I just think you need to know all of the
characteristics of the set-up.

I expect others could provide more detailed info.

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/