[ RadSafe ] Re: radioactive contamination of silver

sontermj at tpg.com.au sontermj at tpg.com.au
Fri Mar 25 11:50:30 CET 2005

Regarding the thread on contamination of silver:

Can I suggest that an often-unrecognised pathway for silver to get contaminated with radionuclides is from
usually-tiny amounts of NORM in the silver ore that can carry over into the final refinery process.  At a
Copper-Uranium-Gold-Silver mining and processing facility where I was once the RSO, we had to hold
back the initial silver shipments because we had found unexpected Po-210 contamination in it (and Kodak
didnt want it!).  We made adjustments to the metallurgical process to reduce this carry over.

Mark Sonter