[ RadSafe ] Re: radioactive contamination of silver

Glenn R. Marshall GRMarshall at philotechnics.com
Mon Mar 28 15:54:32 CEST 2005

The melting point of silver is 962C.  The Boiling Point of uranium is 3818C; BP of thorium is 4790C; BP of radium is 1140C; BP of polonium is 962C; BP of lead is 1755C.  So it seems that merely melting the silver will remove only Po from the mix, which is quickly replaced by decay of radium.  Heating the ore to a temperatuure greater than 1140C (but less than the BP of silver - 2212C) would boil off the radium and other short-lived progeny but not the silver.  Does this make sense?

Glenn