[ RadSafe ] AW: Franz's Question on Irradiation of Fruits

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Mar 28 22:06:37 CEST 2005

Thank you, Russell for taking your time on Easter Monday to answer my
question.

I probably should have written more about the background of my question
– I’ll do it now:

As I mentioned, I have been several times to Hawaii, last time I flew in
on Oct. 27, 2001 to participate in a radiochemistry conference, which
was previously known as the BAER conference. Yes, October 2001! I was
one of the rather few together with my younger son who flew into Hawaii,
which was touristically heavily affected by the aftermath of the terror
attacks.

After all my visits to Hawaii (since about 1990) luggage was on
departure checked either carefully or at random for export of plants and
fruits and was marked accordingly with an “inspected” tab. Plants I took
with me had to have a certificate that they were nematode free. (Well,
they did anyway not survive many Austrian winters
)

Regarding the irradiation of pineapples I read in a US food-science
journal at least 10 years ago at my former Institute of Food Control and
Research a letter of a Hawaiian very high-level executive (senator? or
even governor?) on this subject, accusing a certain Californian Lobby to
prevent irradiation of pineapples (and fruits) in the whole USA
including Hawaii in order to get rid of the Hawaiian competition. Your
“couple of years” may well coincide with my observations. I just wonder
how the Hawaiian pineapples can compete financially with all those from
Thailand and South-American competitors. Though export of canned
Hawaiian pineapples was never affected by the question of irradiation I
cannot remember ever to have seen Hawaiian pineapples in cans in
Austria. Remembering the vast pineapple fields on Oahu I believe there
must be a market somewhere.

Sorry for a respectful disagreement, I cannot believe that pineapples
were shipped out to the US mainland and irradiated there – the export
ban was because of the fruit flies and any transport to the mainland
would have distributed them on the mainland and been counterproductive.

I have been working for years at my former Institute for Food Control
and Research – theoretically – on the question of irradiation of food.
Probably because I personally had no objections this working field was
taken from me, so I have not followed the development very closely
during the last years. Only recently the import of irradiated spices has
been legalized, otherwise irradiation of food and import of irradiated
food is still forbidden. The member states of the European Union have no
uniform legislation on food-irradiation.

Thank you again for your response and best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7