[ RadSafe ] Re: AW: Franz's Question on Irradiation of Fruits

GrayStarNJ at aol.com GrayStarNJ at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 22:31:41 CEST 2005

Hi Franz,

I am not at liberty to talk about my customer's plans...but let me say  this:
 There is no reason to irradiate pineapple.

The people who are presently irradiating products in Hawaii are Hawaii
Pride.  Check out _www.hawaiipride.com_ (http://www.hawaiipride.com/)

You can start believing that the products were irradiated on the  mainland a
few years ago.  There were strict limitations such as pest tight  boxes and it
had to be performed in areas which WILL NOT sustain fruit flies  (North of
the Mason Dixon line.)  More specifically, they were irradiated  in Illinois and
New Jersey.

Further, if handled properly (As defined and regulated by the USDA  APHIS
PPQ), you can still irradiate imported products with pests on the  mainland.  You
might want to go through the Federal Registers.

And you are right about the EU.  Europe is running about 10 years  behind the
rest of the world on irradiation processing of foods.   The sad thing is that
they used to be the leaders.

Hope this helps,
Russell

Thank  you, Russell for taking your time on Easter Monday to answer my
question.
I  probably should have written more about the background of my question – I’
ll  do it now:
As  I mentioned, I have been several times to  Hawaii,  last time I flew in
on Oct.  27, 2001  to participate in a radiochemistry conference, which was
previously known as  the BAER conference. Yes, October 2001! I was one of the
rather few together  with my younger son who flew into Hawaii,  which was
touristically heavily affected by the  aftermath of the terror attacks.
After  all my visits to Hawaii (since about 1990) luggage was on departure
checked  either carefully or at random for export of plants and fruits and was
marked  accordingly with an “inspected” tab. Plants I took with me had to have
a  certificate that they were nematode free. (Well, they did anyway not
survive  many Austrian winters…)
Regarding  the irradiation of pineapples I read in a US food-science journal
at least 10  years ago at my former Institute of Food Control and Research a
letter of a  Hawaiian very high-level executive (senator? or even governor?) on
this  subject, accusing a certain Californian Lobby to prevent irradiation of
 pineapples (and fruits) in the whole USA including Hawaii in order to get
rid  of the Hawaiian competition. Your “couple of years” may well coincide with
my  observations. I just wonder how the Hawaiian pineapples can compete
financially with all those from  Thailand  and South-American competitors. Though
export of canned Hawaiian pineapples  was never affected by the question of
irradiation I cannot remember ever to  have seen Hawaiian pineapples in cans in
Austria.  Remembering the vast pineapple fields on Oahu  I believe there must
be a market somewhere.
Sorry  for a respectful disagreement, I cannot believe that pineapples were
shipped  out to the US  mainland and irradiated there – the export ban was
because of the fruit flies  and any transport to the mainland would have
distributed them on the mainland  and been counterproductive.
I  have been working for years at my former Institute for Food Control and
Research – theoretically – on the question of irradiation of food. Probably
because I personally had no objections this working field was taken from me,
so I have not followed the development very closely during the last years.
Only recently the import of irradiated spices has been legalized, otherwise
irradiation of food and import of irradiated food is still forbidden. The  member
states of the European Union have no uniform legislation on  food-irradiation.

Thank  you again for your response and best wishes,
Franz