[ RadSafe ] DHS and other abbreviations

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 16:08:45 CEST 2005

In a message dated 3/29/2005 1:02:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bcradsafers at hotmail.com writes:

If an  abbreviation like DHS is used a lot (without an explanation) in a
cascade  of messages a good idea coulld be that those involved in the
discussion  sometimes spell it out in full to help broaden the understanding
of the  issue.

In the U.S.  "DHS" now generally refers to the U.S. Department of  Homeland
Security.  I agree, though, it is confusing, as in California  "DHS" refers to
the California Department of Health Services.

This reminds me of a little episode, long ago, when I first got into the
regulatory business.  I was in training and the teacher said something  about
"CYA," and said, "everyone knows what that means, right?"  I turned  to my
classmate, and had to ask what it stood for, because I was accustomed to  it meaning
"California Youth Authority."  My classmate had a good laugh at  my naivete.

For those not easily offended, it means...

It means "Cover Your A**."

Barbara